Home > Consular Service > Visa
Visa for Hong Kong SAR of China

Information on Visa/Entry Permit  for Hong Kong SAR of China for Canadians and other foreign citizens, for the list of Visa/Entry Permit requirement, please visit HK Immigration Department.  

1. Visitors of the following categories enjoy visa/entry-permit-free treatment: 

(1) Canadian citizen with a valid passport going to HK for sightseeing, doing business with a stay of no more than 90 days. 

(2) Visitors from the country or region which enjoys visa-free treatment going to HK for sightseeing, doing business or transit with a stay in HK not exceeding the visa-free period. 

2. Visitors of the following categories need to apply for visa/entry permit via the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General, or send their applications directly to the HK Immigration Department: 

(1) Canadian citizen going to HK for sightseeing, doing business with a stay exceeding 90 days. 

(2) Personnel from the country or region which enjoys visa-free treatment going to HK for sightseeing, doing business or transit with a stay in HK exceeding the visa-free period. 

(3) Resident consular officials of foreign countries and officials of the offices of international organizations in Hong Kong. 

(4) Visitors from the country or region which does not enjoy visa-free treatment. 

(5) Stateless persons. 

(6) Those who wish to live, study, work, receive training, invest or for family-reunion purpose. 

3. The following documents need to be provided when applying for visa directly to the HK Immigration Department: 

(1) General documents: 

A. Photocopy of the personal particulars page of the passport or other travel documents which has at least 6 months remaining validity. 

B. The properly completed and signed Application Form for Visa for HK SAR of China. The Application Form for Visa for HK SAR of China can be obtained from the Chinese Embassy, Consulate-General or the HK Immigration Department. 

C. Two recent passport photos (2x2, front view).

D. Other documents required by the Consular Officer.

(2) Additional documents relevant to the applicant's purpose of going to HK: 

A. For resident consular officers in HK, a note from the Foreign Ministry or overseas diplomatic or consular missions of the sending country is required. The appointment of a new head of the consular office has to be approved by the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China. 

B. For newly appointed representative or other officials of the offices of international organizations in HK, a note from the said international organization is required. 

C. For officials of the European Union's Office in HK, a note from the EU is required. 

D. ordinary students studying in HK: 

· name, address, and telephone number of the school where the applicant is admitted; 

·the admission notice from the school in which the applicant is going to study; 

· certificate of education; 

· if the applicant is under 18 years of age, documents containing consent of parents or legal guardian must be provided; 

· financial sponsorship. 

E. Personnel studying for a short period of time in the Chinese University in Hong Kong: 

· documents proving the applicant's affordability of life expense(e.g. a dwelling place) during his stay; 

· papers guaranteeing the study period is less than 3 months; 

· the admission notice or communication materials from the said university. 

F. Personnel receiving training in HK: 

· name, address and telephone number of the sponsor; 

· the contract between the organizer and the trainee and the specific training itinerary. 

G. Personnel working in HK: 

· name, correspondence address and telephone number of employer or sponsor; 

· contract or letter of appointment indicating the position, salaries and fringe benefits; 

· education certificates and detailed profession credentials, e.g. diploma, certificate or other proof letters.. 

H. Personnel going to HK for performance, exhibition, speech etc. 

· name, address and telephone number of the sponsor; 

· pertinent contract and communication letters. 

I. Personnel investing in HK: 

· name, address and telephone number of the sponsor; 

· documents disclosing investment specifics, e.g. nature, size and actual capital, capital resource; 

·. medical check-up report. 

J. Personnel visiting family members in H.K. for a short period: 

· name, address and telephone number of the sponsor; 

· certificate of relationship. 

K. Personnel joining family members or intending to live in HK: 

· name, address and telephone number of the sponsor; 

· relationship certificate such as marriage certificate or birth certificate. 

L. Former HK residents holding Canadian passports for settlement in HK: 

· previous HK ID or travel document; 

· proof of past settlement in HK (statement from a school, banking account, tax ID, employment statement, etc.) 

(3) Payment: 

Money order or cheque of 52 US Dollars payable to the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region clearly indicating that the payment shall be made by a bank in HK. ( $30 for visa fee, $22 for the returning mail of approval by the HK Immigration Department.) 

(4) A self-addressed return express envelope. 

Upon approval by the HK Immigration Department, a visa/entry-permit sticker shall be sent directly to the applicant. 

4. The applicant can also apply for HK visa/entry permit via the Chinese Embassy or Consulates-General by providing the following documents: 

(1) a passport or other travel documents with at least 6 months remaining validity; 

(2) all materials indicated from 1-4 in Article III; 

(3) payment: 

A. For visa/entry permit approved and issued by the Embassy, diplomatic and service visa is free, and the fee for other type of visa or entry permit is 50 Canadian Dollars per person. The processing takes four working days. 

B. For visa/entry permit to be approved by the HK Immigration Department, the fee is $50 per person. Please be advised that your payment does not guarantee your application be approved. As the approval of the said visa must be decided upon by the HK Immigration Department, it takes at least 21 days to obtain a visa to HK. Upon receiving the approval notice from the HK Immigration Department, the Embassy shall issue the particular visa to the applicant. 

5. Address of the HK Immigration Department: 

Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road 

Wan Chai, Hong Kong 

Tel: 852-2824 6111 Fax: 852-2519 9619

6. The above information is subject to change and explain by the consular officials of the Chinese Embassy or the Consulate General.

Suggest to a Friend: